Saturday, August 14, 2010

What's So Good About "The Hunger Games?"

Read me, Seymour
First of all, how can you even ask that?  RUDE.
Second, obviously you have not read the amazingness of Suzanne Collins' book series.  So, before the final book in the trilogy (Mockingjay) comes out (August 24th- the countdown has begun suckas!), let me 'splain it to you.

The Premise:

The Hunger Games is a Young Adult novel about post-apocalyptic North America, now divided into twelve districts and called "Panem." The Capitol rules with an iron fist, and crushes any attempts at revolt.  As a reminder of its power The Capitol forces each of the districts to send two "tributes" to participate in The Hunger Games.  The tributes- all between the ages of 12 and 18- must fight to the death.  There can only be one winner, and it's all broadcast on live TV for all the districts to see.  Bananas, right?!

The Heroine:
Katniss and Peeta, sort of
16-year-old Katniss Everdeen takes the place of her 12-year-old sister who's initially chosen for The Hunger Games.  She, along with Peeta Mellark, another 16-year-old from her poor district, leaves home for The Capitol to train for the games.  She is a skilled archer and hunter, which earns her surprising favor to win.  Katniss' years spent fighting to keep her family from starvation make her somewhat cold.  She slowly learns social cues, and comes to care for Peeta, but she's torn between him and Gale, her best friend in Disctrict 12.  In spite of her past, she's strong and confident, truly caring, and relatable.

Find out what people are saying about THG after the cut:

The Reviews:

"Suzanne Collins's THE HUNGER GAMES is a brilliantly imagined dystopian novel about the ultimate television reality game for teens…"
Daily Telegraph

"People often ask me for reading suggestions, and I'm always happy to share because books are exciting things to me. My latest excitement is this: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I was so obsessed with this book I had to take it with me out to dinner and hide it under the edge of the table so I wouldn't have to stop reading. The story kept me up for several nights in a row, because even after I was finished, I just lay in bed wide awake thinking about it. I've been recommending it to total strangers in Target. And now to everyone who reads my website. The Hunger Games is amazing."
Stephenie Meyer

"Enthralling, imaginative and creepy"
Los Angeles Times
 
There you have it. A bunch of stuff you don't really need to know about these books. If you've read or seen "Battle Royale," this book is for you.  With a little more of ze romance thrown in for chicks.  I read a lot, and even though it's a YA novel, I found it to be thought-provoking and emotionally challenging.  For real.  Read it.  Love it.  Tell me I'm smart for telling you about it.  But not on August 24th.  I'll be reading Mockingjay.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails